Monday, October 11, 2010

vintage hexagon potholders

Occasionally, I will buy some vintage quilt blocks.  Although I enjoy making my own hexagons, it is fun to use the old blocks too.  I made these potholders years ago, and I have more old blocks, so I plan to make more potholders.  They make a nice hand quilting project.  After I sew some batting and backing fabric to the vintage blocks with the right sides together, I leave a small opening to turn the fabric through, I clip the corners, turn the fabric through, push out the corners, sew up the opening, and iron it.  Then I do my hand quilting.  Very easy!  They are about 8.5 inches around.   Do you have any suggestions for something else to make with these blocks?  I hope you enjoy looking at the old fabrics as much as I do : )  The first three pictures are the potholders and the last three pictures are the extra blocks waiting to be used!

piece,
elizabeth





3 comments:

Sew Many Mamas said...

Love the vintage look! I've got to try some hexies - never have. Cute, cute potholders!

ktquilts said...

I just passed up some vintage blocks last weekend because I wondered what to do with them. Thanks for the idea!! Great potholders!

Blessings,

KT

Quiltstory said...

So sweet! Love the fabrics. Thanks for sharing!