Sunday, October 9, 2011

1st edition: little quilt monday----ticker tape doll quilt

Welcome to Little Quilt Monday linky party.  I am looking forward to this challenge to try some new things in a small project and I hope I am not alone : )  You can link up(below) your mini projects that are a WIP or finished at the bottom of this post.  I am sure I will be inspired by all the little quilts that are being made and I know you will be too!

This week I decided to make a ticker tape doll quilt.  I have seen these and have always wanted to make one.  I found several tutorials for this type of quilt.  Here are a few of the tutorials that you might like to try sometime:  Crazy Mom Quilts,  Sew Take A Hike, and Stitched In Color.



I decided to add my little pieces by hand instead of machine like the tutorials.  I am happy with the way it turned out and I even like the look from the back!  The aspen leaves are from my week in Colorado.



Now it is your turn to link up your little quilts below and please, add my link to your post.  I have a button on my side bar but it is just a picture, I haven't learned how to add the box of detail below it yet.  You can add it as a picture and then link to my post if you would like to do that : )

piece,
elizabeth


13 comments:

Kristi said...

Do you leave the edges of the little pieces raw or are they turned under.
Looks great

elizabeth said...

The edges are raw... Very easy when stitching by hand : ) and because you are quilting as you go all that is left is the binding : )

felicity said...

I love the look of the hand stitching on the back of your mini! Adorable quilt!

felicity said...

p.s. I added a link to your blog on my post. Thanks for hosting!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Elizabeth - I added a link to my small quilts but they are not baby quilts - Thread painting on Wall hangings and table toppers. Some were inspired by my container garden. And I tell about some future ideas for quilts... Just wanted to share.
I am following you and I linked back too and I will put a link in my sidebar also for Little Quilt Monday!
Thanks for hosting!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

I forgot to say! Love your ticker tape quilt! It is so cool!
Also tweeting this for you!

Melissa said...

Love your ticker tape quilt! I am working on the bottled rainbows right now and posted about my QAYG today. Can't wait to see what you make next week :)

Brooke said...

Love it! I have admired the ticker tape quilts and since I love hand stitching, I think it would be fun to make one for a doll quilt.

HOWEVER....I have a silly question. Since the pieces are raw edged, does that mean you can't wash this? Just wondering if they would ravel? Not a huge issue for me on a doll quilt, but I'm just curious.

Love those aspen leaves. Colorado is our favorite place in the world to vacation, and I wish I was there right now to see those beautiful leaves. The colors in your quilt remind me of the fall leaves turning. :)

M-R Charbonneau said...

Coming from Fuddy is Not Duddy Challenge. Great ticker tape quilt! The hand quilting gives it a really nice and different texture.

Kirsten said...

Love the handstitching on your mini quilt! And it will be great to continue on with the mini quilt Mondays too:)

Suzy Myers said...

Thank you so much for the invite! I added your button to my party page!
suzy

Kelli said...

I love your fabric choices and that you hand-stitched it. Great job!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Ooh, the hand stitching does look gorgeous from the back!