Thursday, April 5, 2012

wip~~~leftover strips revisited


I got the leftover strips that I first showed you here out to play with again.  I found a neat tutorial on the internet and decided to make my blocks with 4 strips instead of 5.

Here are a few pictures showing the process.  If you have time, watch the tutorial for a better idea on how this block is made. 

After you have sewn your strips together and cut them in squares, you put two of them right sides together with the strips going in opposite directions.  Sew all around the square and then cut as shown.

This is what it looks like after you iron them open.

Here are the same 4 segments in a different arrangement.

Now you can begin playing with the design!


I decided to make my quilt blocks uniform by matching fabrics, but I think it would be darling like the blocks shown above too.

The unfinished quilt top measure 32 X 42 inches.  The perfect size for a baby quilt.

I know I will be making more of these.  I have lots of strips to play with from a strip swap with friends a few years ago : )

piece,
elizabeth


6 comments:

Linda said...

Looks fantastic, can't wait to see it finished!

Cherie said...

The cheater HST's love them!
I love the idea you came up with for them! I have random strips lying around...well neatly placed in sandwich bags.....=D

Betty Lou said...

Very interesting, I'll have to check this out.

Susana Neiger said...

Awesome, and so creative! I love quilt patchwork that involves sewing things together, then cutting them up, rearranging, and sewing them back together! Great quilt top!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Love this idea so different and a fun way to use up leftover fabrics from other projects.....thanks for showing us how to!

Happy Easter, Carolyn

Talin's Corner said...

That is such a pretty quilt.